Saturday, January 19, 2008

Aloha!

Glamourpuss was invited to a Hawaiian 8th birthday party but didn't want to wear a standard raffia grass skirt because 'they itch'! Racking my brains to think what would make a good non-itchy substitute, I thought of silk dupion, but put the thought aside as way too extravagent... until Lincraft had a one day 50% off sale! I grabbed 1.2m for $12, plus this fabulous Hawaiian print satin-y stuff for a top. The skirt is a simple plain flared skirt with back zipper and belt loops, which she will be able to wear again. The top layer is simply roughly cut strips of fabric, stitched onto a wider long strip, threaded through the loops and tied at the back. The top is a halter neck, with elasticated back, and long enough to wear with leggings.










Next is a little short set for Snugglebunny who has outgrown all her shorts, and can no longer wear dresses except under strict supervision because she undoes her nappy!! I left out the side seam on the 'zoo' fabric shorts by laying the pattern pieces side by side and putting a v-shaped notch at each side, faced with spotty fabric.








Another couple of pairs of little leggings.








I have been wanting to make a skirt like this for a while - it has built in leggings, which you can see in the ever-so-elegant bending over photo... with a 2 tiered skirt over top and a ribbed waist band. Miss Snugglebunny loves to twirl in it already!



This is the same hat as the last one I made, and so cute that I have a third cut out already.


And finally, this is my bargain of the month. A local Op Shop is closing down and you could fill a bag for $10.75. I almost felt guilty because I got so many little things in my bag, including these 22 zips! Plus, 5 pairs of knitting needles, a brand new bag for Glamourpuss, 20 or so old copies of Star Trek magazine for Technogirl, some matchbox cars for Tigerboy, and a pair of jeans for DH.

6 comments:

Cass said...

Everything looks fantastic. Love the hula skirt

Kylie said...

Wow - you have been a busy mama over your Uni break - Love - humm! - EVERYTHING. You seem to get so much achieved TF! And wow look at all of those zips and still in there 'antique' packets!

Anonymous said...

What a lot of zippers!

I love the hawaiian outfit. Very imaginative.

Leah said...

That hawaiian outfit rocks! And how gorgeous is Milly? She's growing too quickly. I really really love the skirt with shorts - did you use a pattern at all? I'd love to make some for Poppy - she's such a flasher!

Natalie said...

Oh wow, I am so jealous of all your sewing! It all looks fantastic, but I especially love Milly's tiered skirt, that is just adorable!

Anonymous said...

You clever thing! That hula skirt is great. Glamourpuss is very lucky to have such a creative Mum as you! :-)