Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Other people may have packed their sewing machines away in preparation for Christmas mayhem, but our Christmas was very low key - just the six of us at home with no visitors. Much to their delight, the kids got a Wii, so while they played and DH slept and modelled (restoring toys) I have been sewing up a storm.


First, a shrug for Glamourpuss to wear over strappy dresses to keep her arms warm. It is slinky knit, with a fluted edge. I followed an article in Threads magazine to whip it up with no pattern and 2 seams only.This is what it looks like off...
















Next, a pair of shorts for Tigerboy. The flames were fused to the plain blue with vliesofix, then stitched on with satin stitch and the back was trimmed away.














This shirt was cut out last summer, then somehow left tucked in a bag unfinished. Fortunately it still fits with room to spare and Tigerboy thinks it's great. He didn't want to put it on for a photo shoot though, so Glamourpuss is modelling it for him :)




Plain shorts, but cute, with purple top-stitching. It was a pattern I had made before and should have ended up a bit more roomy, so not quite sure what went wrong there, but they look good with Glamourpuss's Target smock top anyway.

I am considering changing Snugglebunny's name to Bower-bird as she has turned into a kleptomaniac! Nothing is safe from her clutches and poor Glamourpuss's room in particular is a favourite scavenging site. Pens, pegs, shoes, and anything shiny or technological are prime targets. The little Miss even stole the baby Jesus from the crib during the Sunday School Nativity Play at church, much to everyone's amusement LOL!

This is a vintage pattern I was making for her in a pretty floaty voile (which I also sent Yakkers in the Secret Santa). It is size 2, but when I put the ribbons on it for straps, it was huuuuge on her and falls off her shoulders, so not sure what I will do about that - maybe save it for next year...

Finally, here is Snugglebunny/bower-bird in her new 3/4 pants with red ribbon bows, made from gorgeous Indian print from Spotlight. The pattern is Ottobre. I made the top to match this morning and am not entirely happy with how the neckline is sitting, I have spent ages fiddling with it and can't get it to sit flat at the front so I have given up and it will have to do as it is... The pattern was a New Look peasant top, size 3, that I added the shirring to. If anyone knows how to predict how tight shirring will end up then please let me know!


She is also wearing my first attempt at a hat. An exercise in precision, and sewing around curves no less. It is reversible, and proves that there is a reason I can't bring myself to throw away my enormous collection of scraps! Why would I, when they can be turned into lovely little accesories.

6 comments:

Cass said...

Great stuff you have been making. I can't believe how big Snugglebunny is getting.

Kylie said...

You have been very busy sewing up a storm over the Christmas Break! They all look great - I like TB's shirt - it looks great!

Anonymous said...

how did you ever get the Bower Bird to sit still when taking the photos? and what is your New Year's resolution? maybe it's to sew more stuff! :)

Heids said...

WOW! Talk about sewing up a storm - you have been busy. Love it all. And agree Snugglebunny is growing up!

Helen said...

Wow TF! You have been on a sewing frenzy! Love the hat! Too cute!

Marie said...

Love how you did the flame pants - I actually had some of that in my hands before I had to leave the store quickly. Anyway, you have done some amazing work (and inspired me too).