
Tigerboy kept saying Octopusses, and I kept telling him it's Octopi, but it doesn't look quite right written down!
Anyway, there is only one Octopus on his new PJs, which are made from some lovely batik I've had lying around for ages - I always loved it but wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Tigerboy helped design the 8 legged creature.
Anyway, there is only one Octopus on his new PJs, which are made from some lovely batik I've had lying around for ages - I always loved it but wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Tigerboy helped design the 8 legged creature.Tonight was Glamoupuss's dance concert so here she is in one of her 3 gorgeous costumes.
All the costumes are beautifully made by the mother of the dance teacher, and by my count there would be over 1000 costumes!!
All the costumes are beautifully made by the mother of the dance teacher, and by my count there would be over 1000 costumes!!
And here is the toiletries bag I made this afternoon. It is a present, but I decided since I wont say who it's for that I will post a picture of it anyway.
It's a Laura Ashley print, with an overlayer of clear plastic. I would love to have a go at one of these with piping 'like the bought ones' but I fear that would be mighty fiddly, hmmmm.
5 comments:
Love the pj's and bag and Glamourpuss looks great. I really need to try that vinyl.
That octopuss is just divine...love it.
I love the Octopus! He's a perfect applique! And that make-up bag is lovely.
The octopusses is really cute! Love the idea of a vinyl. Has been on my to do list forever, but, this coming New Year I might (finally) do it.
Here's what wiki says :) : There are three forms of the plural of octopus; namely, octopuses, octopi, and octopodes. Currently, octopuses is the most common form in the UK as well as the US; octopodes is rare, and octopi is often objected to.[10]
The Oxford English Dictionary (2004 update[11]) lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order); it labels octopodes "rare", and notes that octopi derives from the mistaken assumption that octōpūs is a second declension Latin noun, which it is not. Rather, it is (Latinized) Greek, from oktṓpous (ὀκτώπους), gender masculine, whose plural is oktṓpodes (ὀκτώποδες). If the word were native to Latin, it would be octōpēs ('eight-foot') and the plural octōpedes, analogous to centipedes and mīllipedes, as the plural form of pēs ('foot') is pedes. In modern, informal Greek, it is called khtapódi (χταπόδι), gender neuter, with plural form khtapódia (χταπόδια).
Chambers 21st Century Dictionary[12] and the Compact Oxford Dictionary[13] list only octopuses, although the latter notes that octopodes is "still occasionally used"; the British National Corpus has 29 instances of octopuses, 11 of octopi and 4 of octopodes. Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary lists octopuses and octopi, in that order; Webster's New World College Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order).
Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic.
The term octopod (plural octopods or octopodes) is taken from the taxonomic order Octopoda but has no classical equivalent. The collective form octopus is usually reserved for animals consumed for food.
Post a Comment